Although our Immune System is constantly working hard all-year-round, it may become more compromised during cold & flu season, therefore preparation is KI!
However, to prepare, we must understand how the immune system works and how we can give it some extra TLC before the cold & flu season hits!
Your natural defence system
The immune system is made up of special organs, cells and chemicals that fight infection (microbes). The main parts of the immune system are: white blood cells, antibodies, the complement system, the lymphatic system, the spleen, the thymus, and the bone marrow. These are the parts of your immune system that actively fight infection.
To stay sniffle-proof this winter it is important to ensure you are taking care of yourself.
Colour Your Plate
Did you know that brightly coloured vegetables and fruits are loaded with Vitamins, antioxidants and nutrients which will not only nourish your body, but also support our immune function. Try avoiding processed, fast foods and sugar-rich diets in your daily dietTip: Try making a sweet potato spud topped with spinach and mashed avocado – (hearty and delicious winter lunch).
Check in On Your Gut Health
About 70% of our immune system is located in our gut, therefore probiotics and fermented foods are a great way to ensure our gut is healthy. Tip: Try incorporating kefir, kimchi, miso and sauerkraut into your diet.
Assess Your Stress
Stress and burning the candle at both ends can really give our immune system a beating, therefore it is important you manage this well.
Tips to De-stress:
- Try downloading the Mindfulness or Head Space App (available from free from the Apple store and Google Play) and take 20 mins to check in on yourself and mediate.
- Take a 15 min walk outside on your break at work and get some fresh air.
- Exercise weekly (no need to go overboard) and get those regular workouts in!
- Disconnect and have some ‘me’ time, such as a weekend away or quality time spend with loved ones.
Get a helping hand from immune boosting foods, herbs or vitamins
Be sure to tap into the incredible immune-boosting foods, herbs, and vitamins we all have available to us. Tips: Eat cooked shiitake mushrooms or take Ki Immune Defence & Energy Formula daily in order to strengthen your immune system.
Try these tips to create your own sleep oasis:
- Disconnect from devices and electronics
- Read a book
- Have a bath with Epsom salt or lavender
- Try spraying some Rescue Sleep on your tongue
- Dim the lights
- Don’t go to bed with a full stomach
- Skip the night cap!
- Get into bed early
When it comes to a strong immunity, lifestyle and diet choices play a HUGE part. To get through cold and flu season, it is paramount to check in on your health and prepare to power up your natural defence system to help keep your well during the colder months.
Article and photo original source: Ki Health Solutions